American artiste, Usher performing at Global Citizen Festival at Accra’s Black Star Square
Global Citizen has introduced the 2022 Global Citizen Festival campaign has culminated in over $2.4 billion in commitments to end extreme poverty.
The six-week campaign concluded with a nine-hour competition throughout two phases, starting in Black Star Square in Accra, Ghana, introduced by Harith General Partners, and ending in New York City’s Central Park, introduced by Citi and Cisco.
The 2022 campaign noticed two million actions taken by world residents as a part of Global Citizen’s mission to End Extreme Poverty NOW, greater than doubling the record beforehand set by the worldwide advocacy organization.
On the Global Citizen Festival: Accra stage, the governments of Ghana and South Africa introduced the African Prosperity Fund, a joint initiative by the governments of Ghana and South Africa.
The fund goals to deploy $1 billion to fund tasks for financial inclusion and monetary participation throughout the continent.
The fund will give attention to tasks in the African Continental Free Trade Area, together with infrastructure growth, monetary entry for the participation of girls and youth, education, healthcare, know-how, and sustainability, all for the good thing about Africa’s 1.3 billion folks.
Meanwhile, at Global Citizen Festival: NYC, U.S. members of Congress from both sides of the political aisle stood alongside world leaders, philanthropists and trailblazers from the private sector to make bulletins worthy of the 10-year historical past of the Global Citizen Festival.
Over a video message, President Macron introduced France will reallocate 30% of its Special Drawing Rights to the world’s poorest countries, particularly in Africa, to combat extreme poverty, pandemics, inequalities and local weather change.
The days main into the tenth anniversary Global Citizen Festival noticed main commitments from world leaders, together with Prime Minister Trudeau of Canada and President von der Leyen of the European Commission, who respectively dedicated CAD $1.209 billion and €715 million at the seventh replenishment of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria.
During the Festival, Prime Minister Trudeau and President von der Leyen thanked world residents for taking motion.
The following commitments have been pledged at the 2022 Global Citizen Festival in Accra, Ghana and New York City:
Investments dedicated to the way forward for ladies and girls embrace:
- Belgium dedicated €2.6 million to the ILO’s Global Flagship Programme on Building Social Protection Floors for All for its second section in Senegal and Burkina Faso, extending till 2025.
- Denmark dedicated $17 million to UNFPA Supplies and $30 million to UNFPA over the following year as a part of their broader newly introduced three-year partnership.
- The European Commission dedicated €45 million to UNFPA.
- Germany, as a champion for world education, dedicated €10 million to Education Cannot Wait’s efforts to reply to the education wants in Ukraine.
- Luxembourg dedicated to renewing its partnership with the UNFPA-UNICEF Joint Program to End Female Genital Mutilation, with a 70 per cent enhance of its funding based mostly on earlier contributions over the following three years, underlining its assist for girls and ladies around the world.
Philanthropic foundations and the private sector
- Gavi, The Vaccine Alliance and Girl Effect introduced an $8 million partnership to combat against the gender limitations that restrict the uptake of HPV and other routine vaccines in Tanzania and Ethiopia.
- The Global Menstrual Equity Accelerator was launched with the ambition to advance gender equality for girls and ladies via a partnership starting from combating stigmas, rising the provision of interval merchandise, elevating public consciousness and education around menstrual health and safe disposal, and past.
- LEGO Foundation dedicated $25 million to Education Cannot Wait in assist of its 2023-2026 Strategic Plan, together with a dedication to playful studying alternatives for children affected by emergencies and protracted crises, which are gender-transformative and attain children in all their range.
- The United Nations Population Fund introduced a $10.5 million contribution from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to drive improved high quality service provision for the development of girls and girls’ health and well-being.
- Procter & Gamble is dedicated to advancing the Care Agenda by producing and creating commercials, digital content material, and communications messaging that portrays a extra equitable division of care work and challenges the gender stereotypes and societal norms that perpetuate the inequity of unpaid care work in the house and societies around the globe.
FOR THE PLANET
Commitments made to defend the planet embrace:
- The Peace Corps dedicated to launching a brand new local weather initiative to assist over two million hours of volunteer service in around 50 countries, together with up to 1000 volunteers who will work with host country companions to determine and implement actions that contribute to the host country’s local weather priorities and national plans.
The private sector
- Five main companies signed the United Nations-led Race to Zero campaign to obtain net zero carbon emissions by 2050, together with American Eagle Outfitters, Betterfly, Harith General Partners, Juan Valdez Café, and Global Citizen Festival: NYC campaign companion World Wide Technology.
FOR THE GLOBAL FOOD CRISIS
Pledges made to enhance food and diet safety in response to the worldwide food disaster embrace:
- The Netherlands dedicated €25 million in direction of food and diet safety in 2023, topping up the €425 million budget introduced earlier this year for the following 5 years.
- Norway dedicated NOK 100 million in direction of the African Development Bank’s Africa Emergency Food Production Facility.
- Slovenia dedicated €1.23 million to civil society organizations preventing against starvation in Sub-Saharan Africa.
The private sector
- Citi introduced its continued assist for No Kid Hungry for the following three years, estimated to be equal to the supply of 60 million meals.
FOR GLOBAL HEALTH
Commitments made to eradicate communicable diseases embrace:
- Canada highlighted their CAD $1.209 billion dedication made at the Global Fund replenishment
- The European Commission highlighted its €715 million contribution to the Global Fund
- Malta dedicated €30,000 to the Global Polio Eradication Initiative.
- Rotary International dedicated $150 million to the Global Polio Eradication Initiative throughout the following three years.
TO DEFEAT POVERTY
Additional pledges to act in the pursuits of the world’s most marginalized populations embrace:
- The United Nations in Ghana dedicated $257 million in funding in direction of the implementation of the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework by 2025. This convenes greater than 24 United Nations companies, funds, and programmes with the ambition of reaching all areas in Ghana, responding to the wants of probably the most susceptible and searching for to depart nobody behind.
- The United States dedicated $138 million to assist human capital growth in the areas of health, education, local weather, and peacebuilding and $32.5 million dedicated to deepening partnerships throughout West Africa in Ghana, Benin, Cote d’Ivoire, Guinea, and Togo.
- Lithuania introduced they’d be committing €11 million in funding in direction of rebuilding infrastructure together with schools, properties and a bridge in Ukraine.
Philanthropic foundations and the private sector
- Dutch Postcode Lottery introduced a €1 million contribution to the Legal Empowerment Fund, an initiative of the Fund for Global Human Rights.
- Ford Foundation introduced $30 million in direction of organizations defending civic area in the approaching year.
- Google.org dedicated $1 million to OutRight Action International in assist of its work for LGBTIQ communities around the world.
Click here for extra element in regards to the 2022 Global Citizen Festival campaign affect and outcomes.
At the outset of the campaign, Global Citizen called on world leaders, main companies and philanthropic foundations to End Extreme Poverty NOW and make investments $600 million into the way forward for ladies and girls; shut the annual $10 billion local weather financing shortfall; ship $500 million to help African farmers reply to the worldwide food disaster; reallocate IMF Special Drawing Rights to present pressing reduction from money owed unjustly crushing economies, and defend advocacy.
Though the campaign’s outcomes and commitments signify progress for probably the most pressing wants dealing with humanity and the planet, there may be nonetheless a lot work to be performed forward of the G20 and COP27 in November.