file of proof into an alleged cash-for-honours scandal involving one of many King’s charities has been passed by police to the Crown Prosecution Service.
The Metropolitan Police launched an investigation in February following a sequence of newspaper articles alleging a donor to The Prince’s Foundation was supplied help securing a knighthood.
Anti-monarchy group Republic made a proper criticism to detectives about Charles and former shut confidant Michael Fawcett in September 2021, following the tales.
Mr Fawcett, who has since resigned as chief govt of The Prince’s Foundation within the wake of the alleged scandal, had been accused of promising to help a Saudi billionaire donor obtain British citizenship and the honour.
The Met said: “A file was passed to the CPS on October 31.
“The investigation remains ongoing and we will not be providing a running commentary on its progress.”
The power said in September a man aged in his 50s and a man in his 40s had been spoken to under warning earlier that month, on September 6, two days before the Queen died and Charles turned King.
It is known the King has not been spoken to by police, nor has he been requested to accomplish that.
The Sunday Times has now reported prosecutors are anticipated to determine before Christmas if costs will be introduced, with the King’s alleged involvement presumably heard in court docket.
Buckingham Palace said it might not remark on an ongoing police inquiry.
Last autumn, the Mail on Sunday published a letter from 2017 by which Mr Fawcett reportedly wrote that he was keen to make an utility to change businessman Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz’s honorary CBE to a knighthood, and help his utility for citizenship.
The letter, written on headed notepaper in Mr Fawcett’s then-capacity as chief govt of the Dumfries House Trust, said the purposes could be made in response to “the most recent and anticipated support” of the trust.
Mr Mahfouz is reported to have donated massive sums to restoration initiatives of explicit curiosity to Charles.
When the investigation was launched, a spokesperson for Charles at Clarence House said the then Prince of Wales had “no knowledge of the alleged offer of honours or British citizenship on the basis of donation to his charities”.
Mr Mahfouz is said to deny any wrongdoing.