The Accra High Court has deferred judgement within the kidnapping case involving two Canadian girls to the 20th December, 2022.
Judgement was to be delivered on Thursday, November 24, 2022 however the presiding decide, Justice Lydia Osei Marfo, indicated judgement will be prepared on the following adjourned date.
According to the presiding decide, she received a letter from the office of the Attorney-General’s requesting that the victims and their households needed to be a part of the supply of the judgement.
She opined that the court docket acceded to the request of the households and victims and on the day of the supply of judgment, the court docket will create a hyperlink by which such individuals can be a part of to be a part of the proceedings.
She said information will be relayed to the households and victims, at least 4 days to the day of judgment.
The 4 accused individuals, Samson Agharlor alias Romeo. Elvis Ojiyorwe, Jeff Omarsar and Yusif Yakubu are currently standing trial on expenses of conspiracy to kidnap and two counts of kidnapping.
Fact of the case
The info of the case as offered by Ms Craig have been that Aghalor who had been in Ghana for a while grew to become a good friend to Yakubu in March 2019.
In the course of their friendship, Aghalor introduced up the thought of kidnapping as a profitable enterprise, an concept that was accepted by Yakubu. Yakubu agreed to assist Aghalor within the kidnapping activity and even helped him to procure a pistol.
To carry their concept into fruition, the prosecutor said, Aghalor went to Nigeria in May 2019 and recruited Ojiyorwe and Omarsar to be a part of the gang.
According to her, the three Nigerians, upon their arrival in Ghana, resided at Ashaiman for a while before they went to Kumasi to meet up with Yakubu.
When they acquired to Kumasi, Aghalor, who was the leader of the gang, gave some money to Yakubu to rent a car, an condo and likewise purchase pistols and other gadgets to allow them to perform their kidnapping activities.
Kidnapping of Canadians
Ms Craig said on June 4, 2019, the gang, in a car, accosted the 2 Canadian girls, who had boarded an Uber taxi at their hostel at Nhyiayeso, a suburb of Kumasi.
“They were accosted by the gang when they arrived at their destination and alighted from the Uber taxi. Aghalor, Ojiyorwe, Omarsar and Yakubu assaulted the victims and forced them into their vehicle amid shooting.
They then sped off with their victims to their hideout, which was in an uncompleted building at Kenyasi Krobo, another suburb of Kumasi,” the prosecutor added.
During their captivity, Aghalor contacted the households of the 2 girls and demanded a ransom of $800,000.
Ms Craig told the court docket that on June 11, 2019, a National Security crew, led by Colonel Micheal Opoku, and appearing on intelligence, arrested Yakubu.
Afterwards, the crew proceeded to arrest Aghalor, Ojiyorwe and Omarsar at their hideout at Kenyasi Krobo and rescued the 2 girls.
“During the rescue mission, Ojiyorwe and Omarsar threatened to kill the victims if the security agents dared them. They exchanged fire with the security agents until they were overpowered and arrested,” she said.
The prosecutor added that Aghalor, Ojiyorwe, Omarsar and Yakubu talked about Nasir and Abubakari as members of the gang and the 2 have been subsequently arrested.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform don’t essentially characterize the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.