Bicycling is a good way to get around. Not solely does it help ease congestion in crowded areas, however it is usually a good way to exercise. However, bicyclists are sometimes extra weak to negligence and careless drivers on the roadways. If you’ve been concerned in a Georgia bicycle accident, you’re most likely questioning – can I use car insurance coverage for this?
The reply is sure, in most cases you will have the ability to use car insurance coverage to cover your injuries. It is necessary that you simply contact a certified and experienced Georgia bicycle accident attorney to help you thru this process to make sure you get the compensation you want.
What if a driver is at fault in a Georgia bicycle accident?
Bicyclists are among the many most weak teams of individuals in and around the roadways in Georgia. Despite Georgia legal guidelines that permit cyclists the right-of-way on most roads, these incidents nonetheless happen at an alarming price, and so they usually trigger main injuries.
It is necessary that both bicyclists and automobile drivers listen to each other on the roadways. Bicycle security begins with understanding the legal guidelines. Most persons are not conscious of the next:
- If a car passes a bicycle, the car should depart at least three ft of area. O.C.G.A. § 40-6-56.
- Cars should yield to a bicycle whether it is in a bicycle lane. O.C.G.A. § 40-6-55.
- Bicycles may legally trip upon the paved shoulder of the street. O.C.G.A. § 40-6-291.
- Bicycles should obey the identical guidelines that vehicles should obey. O.C.G.A. § 40-6-290.
- Bicyclists should keep on the precise aspect of the roadway. O.C.G.A. § 40-6-294(b).
In many cases, we discover that drivers are at fault for numerous causes, together with the next:
- Driver inattention: as drivers turn into more and more extra distracted by their telephones and other units, they’re changing into extra harmful for bicyclists.
- Failure to yield: there are occasions when drivers or cyclists should not conscious of their tasks in accordance to traffic legal guidelines. In many cases, a bicyclist will get struck at an intersection or whereas they’re driving on the precise aspect of the roadway.
*Drivers impaired by drugs or alcohol are extra seemingly to strike a bicyclist.
Unfortunately, many motorists flee the scene of a bicycle crash to keep away from duty for the injuries or as a result of they’re hiding one thing unlawful (drunk driving, drugs within the automobile, warrants for his or her arrest, and so forth.).
Will their insurance coverage cover a Georgia bicycle accident?
If one other driver is at fault in a bicycle crash, their insurance coverage will seemingly be required to cover your injury bills by means of their bodily injury legal responsibility insurance coverage. This will require that you simply file a declare straight with their insurance coverage company.
However, the requirement for bodily injury legal responsibility insurance coverage in Georgia is just $25,000. If your injuries cost greater than that, you may have the ability to use your individual vehicle insurance coverage as properly. If you’ve uninsured or underinsured motorist protection (UM), you will have the ability to use that if the motive force has insufficient protection. You may additionally have the ability to use this protection if the motive force who strikes you flees the scene of the crash.
What happens after a Georgia bicycle accident?
Bicycle crashes may be scary and complicated, particularly in case you are injured. The good news is that an at-fault driver’s insurance coverage ought to cover your bills. However, if there’s a dispute with the at-fault party or their insurance coverage company, you may want to safe help from a Georgia bicycle accident attorney.
A expert attorney will know precisely how to file a declare with the insurance coverage corporations and will information you thru the process. If an insurance coverage company denies your declare or doesn’t supply sufficient compensation to cover your bills, an experienced attorney will help negotiate in your behalf.